Monday, February 22, 2010

The Car You Miss the Most...


Welcome all, to the official Payne Chevrolet blog! This blog will be a direct connection from this dealership to you, as well as a celebration of the Chevy branding.

Today, most people associate the Chevrolet brand with popular trucks like the Silverado or crossovers like the new Equinox.


But I confess to being a huge fan of the long-lost Chevy Celebrity.


They were beauties, weren't they? Long, rectangular beauties. The mid-size sedan is not as popular today as it was in the 80's and 90's, it seems. The Lumina (another favorite) succeeded the Celebrity before the style was dropped altogether, and the only mid-size that Chevrolet sells in 2010 is the gorgeous Malibu. But I will forever remember the simplicity, the grace, and the 90-degree angles of those Celebrity models from the 80's.


One of my best buddies in high school drove one of these things around. He painted it - well, he said he painted it purple, in honor of Prince, but that color was definitely pink. He drove an electric pink Celebrity and because he was the first of us to get a car we all rode around in it.

Everyone has a story like that, right? Everyone has a favorite car from their youth that, while maybe not in the best condition, held some great memories. (I don't even want to imagine the debaucherous acts that took place in Chevy Vans across America.)

Classic cars don't always have to be souped-up old hot rods. Classics are often the cars we hold dearest to our hearts.

And my heart definitely has wood paneling.

2 comments:

  1. I would definitely have to say that my Dad always wanted my first car to be a Chevy Nova. They were my first love and my introduction into the world of Hatchback vehicles. I still want a third generation one. They are sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We drove the reliable Celebrity on our honeymoon. Those were the days! Looking forward to following this blog.

    ReplyDelete